Avoid the Mess & Follow These Tips During a Hard Freeze
Frozen pipes can quickly turn into a homeowner’s nightmare, causing significant damage and disruption.
At O’Bryan Plumbing Services, we understand the importance of protecting your plumbing during winter.
Follow these valuable tips to ensure your pipes remain safe and intact even in the harshest freezes.
Call today for $50 off your plumbing service!
Understanding the Risks of Frozen Pipes
When water inside pipes freezes, it expands, creating immense pressure that can lead to pipe bursts. This can result in water damage, costly repairs, and inconvenience. To avoid these issues, it’s crucial to take preventative measures, especially during a hard freeze.
Going Out of Town? Take Extra Precautions
If you’re leaving your home during a freezing period, it’s essential to take specific precautions to prevent frozen pipes. Follow these tips:
- Turn off the water to your home: Before leaving, shut off the main water supply to your house. If you have a hot water recirculation pump, ensure it’s turned off before turning off the water.
- Drain the system: After turning off the water, open outside faucets and interior fixtures to drain the system. Leaving these fixtures open allows any residual freezing water to expand without damaging the pipes.
- Purging air upon return: When you return, purge the air out of the system by opening outside hose faucets and bath spouts before using other plumbing fixtures.
Home During a Freeze? Keep Your Pipes Warm
If someone will be home during a freeze, take these precautions:
- Allow faucets to drip: In case of a hard freeze, let outside faucets and interior fixtures on outside walls drip to prevent freezing.
- Remove garden hoses: Disconnect and store garden hoses to prevent outdoor faucets from freezing.
- Heat the home: Maintain a warm temperature in your home to ensure the pipes are protected.
- Open cabinet doors: Cabinets with plumbing on outside walls should have doors open to allow heat into the cabinet.
- Attic pipes: If you have water pipes in the attic, open the attic door to allow warm air circulation.
- Insulate vulnerable areas: Add insulation to outside faucets and water pipes in areas where the home’s heat may not reach, such as the attic, crawl space, or garage.
- Pool equipment: Leave pool equipment running or properly drain the pump and other pool equipment.
Trust O’Bryan Plumbing Services
Count on O’Bryan Plumbing Services to fix any frozen plumbing problems promptly and efficiently. As a token of our appreciation, use our coupon for $50 off plumbing services.
Don’t let frozen pipes wreak havoc on your home.